Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Why am I Short $CORN

Why am I short $CORN?  I think that was supposed to be "why I am short corn," but it is probably better phrased as a question. Maybe one of you can tell me. 

I shorted because I thought the Teucrium Corn ETF was going to decline in similar ways to the other ETFs on my list below.  We'll see if that's enough. 

Let me say. I am not a farmer or a technician, so I have no idea what future price of Corn will be. (Spoiler. No one else does either. ). But, it's not necessary to my strategy, which is to take advantage of the design of these ETFs for long term decay. 

This different from the others on my loist in that it isn't a leveraged ETF, but otherwise has some similarities.

Yahoo! Finance gives the following definition on how the Fund works: "The fund normally invests in Benchmark Component Futures Contracts or, in certain circumstances, in other Corn Futures Contracts traded on the CBOT or on foreign exchanges. In addition, it also may invest in exchange-traded options on Corn Futures"

That's a mouthful, and it doesn't say it owns on ear of corn.  It depends on instruments and futures, both of which decay over time. Which has a negative long-term impact on the price of the ETF   It also has a high expense ratio which come out at the expense of the share price. The fees are currently listed as 2.92% per year.  If you look at the price of corn futures and find a similar price in the past, you will likely find that $CORN is worth less than at the same time.  

Short term, this ETF may be a great buy, but I am playing a long game.  Good Luck.  Nothing here is a recommendation to buy or sell anything. 

It was a great day in the market.  See below for my positions.  Remember, I am short all these, go a loss is my gain. 

Close Initial Short Gain (Losss) Percent
NUGT                   9.96                         10.47                  0.51 4.9%
BIS                 29.58                         29.75                  0.17 0.6%
TZA                   9.51                           9.90                  0.39 3.9%
VIXM                 54.33                         54.60                  0.27 0.5%
RUSS                 31.98                         30.40                (1.58) -5.2%
CORN                 23.06                         22.68                (0.38) -1.7%
FAZ                 11.04                         11.45                  0.41 3.6%
UVXY                 37.88                         40.68                  2.80 6.9%
FXP                 28.71                         27.58                (1.13) -4.1%

No comments:

Post a Comment