Monday, June 29, 2015

I need Non-Correlated Assets

Whoo boy, what a day in the market, huh?  Tough for a long like me.  Yes, I am short ETFs, but they are inverse ETFs, so on a bummer of a day like this, I get slammed, and since they are leveraged, I really get slammed.  I did some trading to minimize the damage, but still some pretty steep losses.  

The concept was to have some funds that were not correlated with each other.  That is, I had a Russia, China, small caps, financials, biotech, oil and some others, so on other days, some were up and some were down.  Not today, everything got crushed, and my ETFs spiked.  Cost me a lot of money.

The point is, on a day like this, virtually everything is correlated.  So I either need to be more nimble, or buy some things that are inversely correlated, so that for sure I goes up while the other goes down.  I've tried that, and it works with these ETFs, but slowly.  I'll consider it again.

I sold a bunch of stuff, , including my $NUGT position.  Yyou can compare to a prior post to see the differences: The ETF Short List is a lot shorter tonight. I did keep the $UVXY, which got really hammered.  I saw it was the 11th highest spike in the $VIX since they have been keeping records.

Close Initial Short Gain (Loss) Percent
BIS                 30.08                         29.75                (0.33) -1.1%
TZA                   9.80                           9.90                  0.10 1.0%
VIXM                 54.86                         54.17                (0.69) -1.3%
FAZ                 11.76                         11.26                (0.50) -4.4%
UVXY                 44.50                         40.68                (3.82) -9.4%


No comments:

Post a Comment